– nWo group founder Kevin Nash is looking to reform the chaotic faction and run roughshod over the world of wrestling once again. He wrote on Twitter,
“A lot of you wanted an NWO reunion, there will be one. As you know we only come in take over mode. Stay tuned!!!”
The group’s reformation could take place in WWE and if Nash has his wish fulfilled, with CM Punk as their leader. Nash tweeted to a fan that he wants the WWE Champion as group captain with the “NWO army to protect the gold.”
“Rock will never walk out of the Rumble with the belt. We got Phil’s back.”
Meanwhile, TNA Wrestling executive Eric Bischoff re-tweeted Nash’s announcement reading,
“A lot of you wanted an NWO reunion, there will be one. As you know we only come in take over mode. Stay tuned!!!”
– Speaking to WWE Magazine, CM Punk reveals the most ridiculous thing John Laurinaitis ever said to him—comparing himself to three of the greatest wrestlers of all-time.
“He always tries to tell me some kind of stories that relate to whatever I’m going through at the time with him and his career in Japan. Maybe there are some parallels. One time, he compared himself to Hulk Hogan, Randy “Macho Man” Savage and “Stone Cold” Steve Austin when he talked about signature finishers and whatever the set up was. Hogan would tuck his hand to his ear. Austin would do the double-bird. Savage would point to the sky before dropping his respective finisher. Then he threw his in there—it was the Peace Sign followed by the Ace Crusher.
“I was just dumbfounded that he had the gall to throw his name and his hat in with those historic Superstars.”
Punk was also asked who, other himself, will he play as in the upcoming WWE ’13 video game.
“Mike Tyson! Yeah, it’s the first time that he’s been in a wrestling title, as far as I know. The last time he was in a video game was Mike Tyson’s Punch-Out!! So how awesome is that!? For sure—I’m going to knock you out.”
– The planned WWE Network might have been delayed yet again. The original launch date was earlier this year during WrestleMania 28 weekend. When WWE failed to secure clearances from the big cable carriers, the launch was delayed to this fall. Now, the latest is that the network launch will be delayed once again. Wrestling Observer editor Dave Meltzer was interviewed by a newspaper in Stamford this week about the fledgling network and said that he does not think it will launch until next year. The newspaper reached out to WWE for a comment, but did not get a response. With a 2013 launch now looking like the likely scenario, WWE will likely hold off until WrestleMania 29 weekend, when the company will have the most eyes on their product from the WWE Universe and the mainstream media. In preparation for the eventual launch, WWE continues to digitize their library of footage, with employees still being hired for the massive undertaking.
– Suspended WWE superstar Randy Orton is scheduled to return to television week at Monday’s RAW Supershow from Cincinnati, OH. He is also expected to appear at Tuesday’s SmackDown tapings from Indianapolis, IN. Orton will be returning to the main event scene when he does make it back to TV.
– According to the PWInsider, Alex Riley reportedly lost his push because of a backstage incident with John Cena. Riley was backstage with Cena, and Cena was ribbing him in front of some of the other wrestlers. Riley reportedly came back angrily at Cena, which was seen as him “breaking the code of the locker-room.”
– Kharma confirmed on Twitter this week that she was indeed released from WWE. A fan asked if it was true that Kharma was “granted” her release from WWE. Kharma replied:
“yes, I was. It doesn’t mean I’ll never be back.”
– WWE Hall of Famer Roddy Piper and WWE diva Kaitlyn have responded to false online reports that Piper offended Kaitlyn backstage at Monday’s RAW 1,000 by making inappropriate gestures towards her. Piper, who usually does not address Internet reports, says he felt compelled to set the record straight – and has challenged whoever started the rumor to appear on his Rod-Pod podcast on August 2nd to discuss the situation. Piper tweeted:
(1) EVERYBODY OUT OF THE FU*KEN POOL NOW! Just walked in the ranch.Been gone 4-wks.. I come to hug my kids!.1st thing I hear is @KaitlynnWWE
(2) I let most lies about me go unchallenged. NOT THIS TIME! I have a GREAT RELATIONSHIP with all the DIVAS and WRESTLERS at WWE!
(3) As far as @KaitlynWWE I she she’s wonderful. I’m not letting this go. I am a gentleman with all! I don’t know what I’m accused of?
(4) BUT BRING IT ON! IN FRONT OF THE WORLD!! ROD-POD’s RAW 1000 report! Aug.2nd have the BALLS TO SAY IT TO MY FACE. I’M LOOKING FOR U NOW!
I hate bullies and Men that are not Pro’s and don’t treat all others with respect. @KaitlynWWE is a wonderful laddy! U Picked the wrong guy!
Kaitlyn followed up with this message:
@KaitlynWWE. I Love ya & am sorry for who ever did this to U and I. Don’t you worry. Me..I’M GOING TO HUNT THEM DOWN! Nite Sweet Heart! Rod
@R_Roddy_Piper ahhh trying to ignore this craziness!! It was great to see you last night and you were a perfect gentleman as always.
– Updating a previous item, according to the PWInsider, a company called Mocker LLC has attempted to trademark the letters “ECW” to be used for a new pro wrestling promotion after WWE let their trademark expire. After a recent rant by Paul Heyman stating that nobody could ever recreate the magic of ECW no matter what they call themselves, the United States Patent & Trademark Office has rejected Mocker’s request, due to potential conflicts with WWE’s ECW-related trademarks. WWE still has trademarks on the phrases ECW One Night Stand, ECW Extremists and ECW Vixens. TNA Wrestling was cited as an example of another company existing in the same industry using their own unique trademark that does not infringe on existing trademarks by a competitor.
– In a newly published interview with Maxim, The Bella Twins say they look forward to returning to WWE in the future. When asked to address their whereabouts since parting ways with the sports entertainment organization in April, Brie states,
“We’ve been keeping busy! In August you can see us on Ridiculousness on MTV, and in September we’ll be sharing some thoughts about Tim Tebow on the NFL Network. But honestly, the WWE is a huge family, and we look forward to going back.”
Having been involved with professional wrestling industry for five years, they are asked what made then enter it in the first place. Nikki says,
“We weren’t even allowed to watch wrestling as kids, but our friends always told us we’d be perfect for it. Then we did Diva Search and saw what it was all about. We were like, “Wait, you get to kick girls’ butts and look hot doing it? This is so our calling!”
– Marlins’ OF Giancarlo Stanton (right knee) said Wednesday that “it’ll probably be around 2 weeks” before he returns from the DL. Stanton underwent surgery on July 8 to remove two small cartilage chips. He began hitting in the cage last week and took batting practice on the field at Marlins Park on Monday. He could return around mid-August.
– Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com writes that the Dodgers could make a deal for Phillies’ OF Shane Victorino or OF Hunter Pence–even if they acquire Cubs’ RHP Ryan Dempster. Victorino would likely cost less in terms of prospects, as he will be a free agent after the season. Pence is making $10.4M this season and is arbitration-eligible for the final time this winter.
– Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com reports that the White Sox “badly” want Brewers’ RHP Zack Greinke. The Rangers, Angels and Braves are also in the mix. The Brewers recently made a last-ditch effort to keep Greinke, an offer reportedly in the range of 5-years/$100M, but the impending free agent is expected to decline.
– Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com reports that the market for Padres’ 3B Chase Headley is “huge”, and that there’s now a “strong probability” that he will be traded. Upwards of ten teams have expressed interest in a possible deal, including the Orioles, Indians, Athletics and Pirates. The Yankees are expected to check in now that 3B Alex Rodriguez (hand) is on the DL. Heyman writes, however, that the Yanks that they are unlikely to make a major push because they aren’t willing to give up the prospects it would take to land him. Headley is making $3.475M this season and remains under team control though 2014.
– Nationals’ manager Davey Johnson said Wednesday that OF Jayson Werth (wrist) could return from the DL next Tuesday. Werth is 1-for-9 with an RBI, a walk and three strikeouts over his first three rehab games between High-A Potomac and Triple-A Syracuse. He’s been out since undergoing wrist surgery on May 7.
– Jaguars’ owner Shad Khan indicated Wednesday that the team has no intention of satisfying RB Maurice Jones-Drew’s contract demands. ”There’s no decision here. It’’s his choice. There’’s been very little for us to do rather than wait on whatever he might chose to do. … There are other people under contract in management, coaches. Does that mean if you do it for one, you do it for everybody? Where do you draw the line?” Veterans are required to report to training camp on Thursday.
– Mark Kaboly of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review is “hearing rumblings” that a deal is close between the Steelers and RFA WR Mike Wallace. Wallace turns 26 on August 1. If the rumoured 5-year agreement holds true, he’d be able to test free agency for his age-31 season. The maximum value of the rumoured contract was $42.5M.
– NFL Network reports that Bengals 1st-round pick CB Dre Kirkpatrick (fractured patella) will miss 6 weeks. The injury projects to sideline him into early September, costing him the entirety of training camp and the preseason, as well as his starters’ job.
– Ravens’ S Ed Reed reported to Ravens training camp Wednesday morning. Reed contemplated retirement and also expressed unhappiness with his contract over the summer. He’s entering his age-34 season and entering the final year of his deal.
– Titans’ QB Matt Hasselbeck is listed as the starting quarterback on the first unofficial depth chart of the season. Even though Hasselbeck is expected to start, QB Jake Locker will likely overtake him at some point this season.
– The Bengals have signed DC Mike Zimmer to an undisclosed extension. Taking over as coordinator in 2008, the 56-year-old’s units have improved from 12th in the league in yardage allowed (2008) to 7th in 2012.
– D Steve Staios has retired and will join the Maple Leafs’ front office. The Hamilton native, who spent 18 seasons in the NHL, will be Toronto’s new player development adviser. Staios, 39, will advise Toronto management on the prospects and players at all levels of the organization. He will also take on special assignments for both the amateur and pro scouting departments. Staios spent last season with the Islanders, recording eight assists in 65 games. He finishes his career with 56 goals and 164 assists in 1,001 games with Boston, Vancouver, Atlanta, Edmonton, Calgary and the Islanders.
– Mr. Anderson joined Washington Redskins defensive end Adam Carriker and Chuck Carroll on this week’s “4th & Pain”—the only pro wrestling show hosted by an NFL player. More information on the show is available at 4thandpain.com. Highlights from the interview are as follows:
Is he still happy in pro wrestling?: “I really am. And I think I’ve been reinvigorated. I took some time off a few months back… I took about four months off and took care of some personal things and just cleared my head. I’ve been in the business now for 13 years and was part of that major wrestling corporation for six or seven years. And the fact that we don’t have an offseason and we go 52 weeks each year–that’s what a lot of people don’t realize–it does take its toll on your body, takes its toll on your mind. I will say that it’s gone in waves. I’ve had some big ups in my career and I’ve had some lows. But overall I’m happy with every single thing I’ve done. I’m happy with the mistakes that I’ve made because I’ve learned from those mistake. I’m very happy with our company right now and the direction that it’s going. I hope our fans are as excited about it as we are.”
How he got the idea to announce his name twice: “The microphone fun and two-time name announcing began in high school when he was tasked with creating a fake radio advertisement for invisible underwear. No, we’re not making this up.”
The teacher encouraged him to get into radio and shortly there after he began announcing for the school’s basketball games. It was there he would “add a little flare” and say the last names of the players twice.
Flash forward 15 years later he was in Ohio Valley Wrestling and it happened: “I’m down at OVW and Paul Heyman suggested to me that I go out to the ring and announce myself. And that was just something… I threw in the last Anderson, the second Anderson and I came I came back through the curtain everybody was like, ‘That was awesome when you said your last name twice.’ And it turned out that was what it took to get me to the dance. It seems so stupid, but just saying my last name twice… It’s just those little things.”