– Despite a 22-point, 10-rebound, 14-assist performance by G Rajon Rondo, the Heat eliminated the Celtics in Game 7 on Saturday night, and will play the Thunder in the NBA Finals. Boston was outscored 28-15 in the fourth quarter, putting a major thud in what could be the end of the ‘core four.’ Rondo is under contract through 2015, and F Paul Pierce has one more guaranteed season, but both G Ray Allen and F Kevin Garnett will be UFAs this summer. Stay tuned.
– The Clippers will sign Blake Griffin to a 5-year/$95M extension on July 1, according to the LA Times. Griffin is eligible for a contract extension this summer, and the Clips are not wasting any time securing his future with the team. After the deal, they’ll need to ensure that they also have enough money to sign G Chris Paul to a maximum contract extension as well. Stay tuned.
– Devils’ D Bryce Salvador, who missed the entire 2010-11 season because of a concussion, scored the winning goal on a deflection at 9:05 of the second period in New Jersey Saturday agains the Kings to make it a 3-2 series. Salvador now has four goals this playoffs.
– CBS Sports’ Jason La Canfora reports that the Dolphins will work out free agent WR Chad Ochocinco this week. According to the report, there is mutual interest between the two sides. Stay tuned.
– On Friday night, the Mariners completed the first combined no-hitter in 19 years as part of a 1-0 win over the Dodgers. After Kevin Millwood was pulled with a groin strain, Charlie Furbush, Stephen Pryor, Lucas Luetge, Brandon League and Tom Wilhelmsen combined to throw three hitless innings. It was the Mariners’ first no-hitter since Chris Bosio turned in one against Boston in 1993.
– Yankees’ OF Brett Gardner (right elbow) had a setback in a rehab game Friday night at Low-A Charleston, experiencing renewed soreness, and will travel back to New York to see a specialist on Monday. The Yankees had hoped to have Gardner back in the lineup early next week, but is now believed to be out well after the All-Star break.
– The Orioles hope to activate 2B Brian Roberts (concussion) from the DL on Tuesday. That’ll be when his rehab time expires, so the O’s will either need to add him to the 25-man roster or ask the commissioner’s office for an extension. Roberts hasn’t appeared in the majors since suffering a major concussion last season.
– According to the PWInsider, Alberto Del Rio, who is still recovering from surgery following a groin tear last year, is believed to have suffered a concussion during last Tuesday’s SmackDown taping in Columbia, South Carolina. As a result, he may be unable to compete against Sheamus for the World Heavyweight Championship at No Way Out on June 17. WWE officials reportedly brainstormed alternative scenarios Friday in case Del Rio is unable to wrestle at the event.
Looking to get under the skin of the World Heavyweight Champion, Del Rio brought out Ricardo Rodriguez to make light of the Irish brawler by mimicking his distinctive red hair, outfit and gestures. The real Sheamus then appeared, where the fight would eventually spread to the steel stage. The Celtic Warrior slammed Del Rio’s head against the metal WWE logo, leading to his possible concussion. Del Rio did not appear as scheduled for tonight’s SmackDown live event in Salisbury, Maryland. Rather, Sheamus defended his strap against the winner of a match pitting Kane against The Great Khali.
– According to the PWInsider, following reports that Kelly Kelly was accepting endorsements and appearance requests during her hiatus from the WWE ring, organization officials lobbied the Raw Diva to sign a new contract. They are willing to offer her a pay raise since she is considered their most marketable female performer.
Meanwhile, a number of talents are reportedly feeling exhausted from the company’s current travel schedule, which requires most to attend every television taping. Some feel Nikki and Brie Bella may have started a trend with the female performers to take away from WWE rather than continuing working on a never-ending basis. The twin duo, as well as Lilian Garcia, have cited exhaustion from WWE’s grueling travel schedule as their reason for leaving the sports entertainment organization. Nikki told Diva-Dirt.com last month,
“It was crazy, Brie and I-when our contracts were coming to an end, we kind of both looked at each other one day and were like, “I’m exhausted.” And she was like, “I’m exhausted.” We were like, “Let’s take a break. I don’t know if that’s the twin connection, or the twin bond, that we both kind of felt it but we just looked at each other one day and we were just tired. We were really tired and sore. We were like, okay, let’s do this. It was scary.”
Garcia explained on her official website in 2010,
“Leaving the WWE was one of the hardest decisions I had to make because I was very close to everyone there and loved my job, but after 10-plus years of being on the road it was time to take a break.”
– Counting down to fourteen days remaining on his thirty-day WWE suspension due to an irresponsible act of denigrating the Brazilian flag at a WWE live event in São Paulo on May 24, Chris Jericho tweeted Saturday,
“Its been 14 years of silence 14 years of pain….”
He also wrote Friday,
“15 years ago I was in the Top Of The Super Junior tournament for New Japan Wrestling. I didnt win The 15 Amendment gives u the right to vote.”
– The 70th episode of Z! True Long Island Story features Zack Ryder overseas for the Raw brand’s tour of Spain. Plus, Scott Stanford consoles Ryder for losing on WWE Superstars and not appearing on Raw SuperShow.
– This week on Santino’s Foreign Exchange, Santino interrupts Damien Sandow’s breathing exercises to ask him a very important question. Also featured is The Great Khali drinking tea and Michael McGillicutty eating a bowl of Fruity Pebbles.
– Former WWE wrestler Shane “The Hurricane” Helms is now a father. His son, Sebastian Gregory Helms, was born Friday. He wrote on Twitter,
“Emotionally and physically spent. Good night everyone. Thx for all the love and positivity. It is returned!! Bless you all.”
– SmackDown ring announcer Lilian Garcia announced via Twitter that she will be releasing an extended play album. She tweeted Saturday, “Breaking news!! Will be releasing my EP Album this summer!!! Stay tuned for more details!!!” Garcia previously released an album in 2007.