– As part of the buildup to the Rock vs. John Cena match at WrestleMania 28, The Rock held a “Rock Concert” on the March 12, 2012 edition of WWE RAW. With the news of John Cena filing to divorce his wife this week, the lyrics of The Rock’s takes on a different meaning:
“Rock saw Cena makin’ out with Eve, Grabbin’ on her thigh, tuggin’ on her weave. Cena was havin’ the time of his life, I guess he didn’t tell her that he’s got a wife. Let’s rock. Everybody let’s rock. Divorce lawyer’s right up the block, but we’re dancing because Cleveland Rocks.”
While there’s no indication that John Cena and Eve were romantically linked off-camera, it is known that The Rock and John Cena were legitimately taking personal shots at each other during their promos hyping WM28. With TMZ.com reporting that John Cena did not hide his marital problems with his co-workers in the WWE locker room, it appears The Rock’s remarks about Cena’s wife and a “divorce lawyer right up the block” hit closer to home than we realized at the time. Here’s the video of The Rock’s “Rock Concert” from RAW (3/12/12):
– In part two of his MLW Radio appearance, which you can listen to here (MP3), Ultimate Warrior spoke about fighting Vince McMahon in court for years and spending over a million dollars in the process. Warrior also commented about the respect he developed for Vince after the long battle.
“It went on for almost five years and it was about to start trial. It was a Friday. Vince and Linda were there with their counsel, Jerry McDevitt, and I was there with my counsel. It had gone on for five years. There were 30,000 documents. There were 30 or 40 depositions that had been taken in all different places all over the country. There were 900 exhibits. It was incredible. I was already into it for a million dollars in paid legal fees.”
“I think [Vince] was surprised as time went on. In those kinds of things, Vince has the money to throw at them all day long. He doesn’t really sit and think about the consequence. He just doesn’t. It was different for me because I was so close to it and it just kept dragging on and on. Vince is stubborn. Both Linda and others in their depositions under oath said the problem between me and Vince was that we were so much alike.”
“At the end of the day, after all the fighting and everything, I respect Vince more than anybody else. The writing is on the wall while you’re there. All the guys that are bitter about where they ended up in their lives, that wasn’t Vince’s responsibility. Vince’s loyalty was to his company, himself and his family. He wasn’t going to let anybody stand in the way and even though outsiders can see some of the things he did as vicious, I happen to admire that.”
– Ed Bassmaster, who has amassed over 230 million views on his hidden camera prank themed YouTube channel, stated Tuesday on Facebook that John Cena denied his request for a photo opportunity on Tuesday while riding a shuttle bus with the WWE Superstar at Tampa International Airport.
“So I’m at the airport in Tampa and I get on the shuttle bus. It’s just me and John Cena. I ask him for a quick pic and he says “I’m on my way home” without even making eye contact with me. Thanks John, it wasn’t for me. It was for my 4 year old little nephew. My three year olds John Cena doll is going in the trash when I get home.”
Bassmaster issued an apology Thursday shortly after news broke that Cena had filed for divorce from his high school sweetheart and wife of three years, Elizabeth Huberdeau.
“Never judge a book by its cover. John Cena filed for divorce today. Evidently he had good reason to be short and unpleasant towards me. I apologize for my statement, and the doll will not go in the trash.”
– According to the PWInsider, beginning next Thursday, WWE’s WWE NXT and FCW Wrestling tapings will emanate from Full Sail University’s multi purpose performance venue in Winter Park, Florida. Tickets for the events are free to university staff and students with ID as long as they are reserved in advance. The events, which are being branded as WWE Superstar Showdown, are taking place near the company’s developmental facility in Tampa, Florida as means to integrate Florida Championship Wrestling talent on NXT more smoothly. Company officials hope the “university feel” will give the show better crowd reactions as well as to upgrade the look of Florida Championship Wrestling programming.
Triple H, WWE’s Executive Vice President of Talent, is heavily involved with the project. He was said to be a high on the facility after scouting it with other WWE executives last year. Triple H is advertised for Thursday’s event, which will also feature World Heavyweight Champion Sheamus vs. Alberto Del Rio and WWE Tag Team Champions Kofi Kingston and R-Truth vs. Epico and Primo. Events are also scheduled for June 14, July 5, July 19, August 9, August 23, September 6 and September 20.
– DJ Waleed Coyote, who works for 102 Jamz in Greensboro, North Carolina, says he was involved in a verbal altercation with Chris Jericho at The Treasure Club in the early hours of May 7th. Jericho had R-Truth and a WWE referee with him. Jericho allegedly got mad and took Coyote’s mobile phone when the man tried taking a photo of Jericho inside the club. Coyote is now challenging Jericho to a three-on-three “No Rules” match with proceeds going to North Carolina music charities. Coyote said:
“The thing that bothered me about this dude is that we weren’t formerly introduced and he acted out of line and you can’t do that in North Carolina. He would have done that to anyone in this state and you can’t do that.”
– Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com reports that the Cubs are looking to extend RHP Matt Garza, rather than trade him as initially believed. Heyman notes that “there’s nothing hot right now, but the lines of communication are open” regarding an extension. For the time being, it appears, the 28-year-old will remain with the Cubbies.
– Alden Gonzalez of MLB.com was told be a “high-ranking Angels source” that a potential deal involving Angels’ OF Peter Bourjos going to the Nationals is no closer than it was in the offseason. Gonzalez adds that there was “zero” chance of it happening then. The Angels are reportedly talking to multiple teams about Bourjos, but it appears that no deal is close.
– Marlins’ manager Ozzie Guillen said Friday that he is ready to the closer job back to RHP Heath Bell. Bell was pulled from the role last week, but was always expected to get it back sooner rather than later. RHP Steve Cishek blew a save Wednesday night against the Astros, which was followed by a scoreless inning from Bell, so chances are that helped speed the process up.
– Cardinals’ GM John Mozeliak said OF Lance Berkman (calf) will not be activated from the DL Friday. Berkman tested out his calf earlier this week with no issues, but the team is holding off making a move as a precaution. He didn’t offer a timetable on when Berkman would return.
– The Bills have signed QB Vince Young to a 1-year/$2M contract. Young was awful in seven spot appearances (three starts) with the Eagles last season, posting a 4:9 TD:INT ratio. The former No. 3 overall pick will likely be out QB Tyler Thigpen for the backup job in camp. GM Buddy Nix also confirmed Friday that QB Ryan Fitzpatrick’s starting job is secure, despite adding Young. Fitz is owed $7.25M in 2013, including an early-offseason roster bonus of $3M.
– Browns’ DT Phil Taylor (torn left pectoral) will undergo surgery next week to repair the injury suffered while lifting weights on Thursday. The timetable should be in the 4-6 month range, leaving Taylor as a candidate to open the season on the PUP list. Most players are out for the season with an injury of this magnitude, but lucky for him, it comes months before the season actually starts. The Browns’ defensive line just got even thinner with him out
– The Giants have signed No. 32 overall pick RB David Wilson to a 4-year contract with a team option for a fifth year.
– The Sixers pulled off a huge upset, beating the Bulls on Thursday night and advancing to the second round for the first time since 2003. The win came with some questionable decision-making, as they usually do. Chicago held a one point lead with under 10 seconds to go. On the fast break, G C.J. Watson decided to pass to F Omer Asik, who was fouled and awarded two free throws. Of note, Watson’s career free throw percentage is almost 40 points higher than Asik’s. Asik missed both, then fouled F Andre Igoudala the other way, sending him to the line. Igoudala made both of his free throws to give the Sixers a one point lead, and Chicago had one last chance with two seconds to play. G C.J. Watson’s prayer rimmed out from halfcourt that would have tied the game. Check out the thrilling finish:
– Check out Hawks’ F Ivan Johnson giving a Celtics’ fan the one-finger salute:
– Prior to the Capitals vs. Rangers Game 6 on Wednesday, CBC host Ron MacLean made a comparison between the players in the Rangers/Caps game, and the first respondents to the September 11 terrorist attack. That’s right–this time, it wasn’t Cherry making the comments. MacLean said,
“But my intentions were highly noble to really pay homage to Washington and New York and then by extension, in a much lesser way, to explain how the seeds of a spirit like we saw back on 9/11 are sown in certain aspects of life, and one of them is the courage it takes to play hockey.”
His co-anchor, Don Cherry, came to defend MacLean. He told the Canadian Press,
“I think what happens is people don’t think as much of hockey players as we love hockey players. We think hockey players are the top people in the world. We think they’re tough, that’s all Ron was doing. For people to take it out of context is just unbelievable to me.”
– In off-ice NHL news, Paulina Gretzky is at it again, this time posting pictures partying at a recent Deadmau5 concert. and updating a previous item, Blackhawks’ F Patrick Kane recently partied in Madison, Wisconsin, and numerous reports say Kane’s behaviour was inappropriate. Reports of Kane getting excessively drunk, being thrown out of bars, making anti-sematic comments and even choking a girl are currently circling the internet, however, they remain unconfirmed. Courtesy of Deadspin, here are some leaked photos of Kane’s trip to Madison, as well Gretzky’s posted pics:
– TNA Knockouts Champion Gail Kim and celebrity chef Robert Irvine were married on Thursday in Napa Valley, California. The couple met on the set of Irvine’s former show, Dinner: Impossible. Irvine planned the entire wedding and left his bride-to-be with only one job: to show up looking “as beautiful as she always does.” He tweeted on Wednesday:
“My total surprise wedding for [Gail] is almost done, she has no knowledge of what’s going on and I am surprising her.”
Gail Kim tweeted the following about her big day:
“I’m the luckiest girl in the world. Now I know what little girls dream of.”
Several other celebrity chefs attended the wedding, including Masaharu Morimoto, Guy Fieri, Michael Chiarello and Melissa d’Arabian. Both Mirimoto and Guy Fieri cooked multiple dishes for the wedding reception.
– Check out this brawl during the All-Star Game of the LFL. There’s so many logic gaps here, but we’re best off to just shutup and enjoy it: