– In the latest issue of Power Slam, magazine editor Findlay Martin responds to a reader’s question regarding CM Punk’s “Straight Edge” lifestyle–whether it’s truly one that Punk follows in his real day-to-day life, or if the “Straight Edge” gimmick is exactly that–a gimmick.
“That’s a vicious rumour, as far as we know. We have spoken to many people over the last eight years who have been to bars and nightclubs with Punk and/or traveled with him in Europe and the U.S. and Canada, and all report that Punk has invariably abstained from alcohol, illegal drugs and tobacco.”
Martin, however, says that some wrestlers who worked with Punk during his path to the WWE main roster years ago found his drug-free proclamation to be phony. Upon reaching the main roster, he was shunned for living an alternative lifestyle.
“Since most wrestlers habitually use alcohol and/or drugs and are instinctively distrustful of fellow wrestlers, the assumption among most who did not know Punk when he was working on the independent circuit and treading water in WWE’s developmental system was that his teetotaler/drug-free claims were bogus. When he reached WWE television and his fame and word spread that his ‘Straight Edge” gimmick was genuine, Punk was ridiculed and even ostracized by some wrestlers for choosing an alternative lifestyle to theirs.”
– After the official WWE website transferred Dustin “Goldust” Runnels’ profile from the Raw Superstars section to the Alumni section on Friday, PWInsider.com confirmed that he was released from his contract with the organization last week. An undisclosed incident at the April 24 SmackDown taping in Grand Rapids, Michigan led to his contract being terminated. He had been working behind the scenes since suffering a shoulder injury in December 2010.
– F4WOnline reports Robert Zimmerman, WWE’s Senior Vice President of Corporate Communications, Media Relations, and Public Affairs, has left the company. Additional details on his departure have not been disclosed.
– “Rowdy” Roddy Piper posted the following on his Twitter account:
“Asked if I would shake hands with Hogan! YES I WOULD! I’m a MAN! Men are people that show the way! U can only tell a Man by his actions.”
– Jim Ross was rattled by a Twitter follower writing “stick to wrestling old man” after he posted multiple messages on the Floyd Mayweather, Jr. vs. Miguel Cotto boxing match Saturday night:
“How about a little respect? Didn’t your parents teach you to respect your elders or are you a keyboard punk?”
– In this week’s Are You Serious? webisode, Road Dogg and Josh Mathews explain how WCW “ruined everything.” Their proclamation includes ninjas (Glacier), classical music (The Maestro), sharks (John Tenta portraying a shark character) and even titles (David Arquette winning the WCW World Heavyweight Championship). Also mocked is a WCW vignette featuring Raven as a spoiled rich kid with hardcore wrestling icon The Sandman appearing as his preppy neighbor Jim at his childhood home’s pool.
– Angels’ 1B Albert Pujols hit his first home run of the season in Sunday’s win over the Blue Jays. Finally, El Hombre ends longest homerun drought of his career. Dating back to last season, he had gone 33 games and 139 at-bats before taking RHP Drew Hutchison deep for a two-run shot. It was his 28th game as a member of the Halos. Pujols’ longest homer drought prior to this one spanned 27 games.
– Yankees’ LHP Andy Pettitte deemed himself ready Sunday to return to the Yankees’ rotation. ”I’m going to let them let everybody know what we’ve got going on. I feel like I’m ready, and I think they’re ready for me to come up.” Pettitte struggled Sunday, giving up five runs (three earned) on eight hits and two walks over five innings for Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre. He posted a 3.71 ERA and 14/3 K/BB ratio over 17 innings in his three minor league outings. Manager Joe Girardi said he’ll speak with GM Brian Cashman about a plan for Pettitte.
– The NHL has suspended Coyotes’ D Rostislav Klesla 1 game for his boarding hit on Predators’ F Matt Halischuk during Game 4. The incident occured in the first period and Klesla was issued a minor penalty at the time. Klesla will miss Game 5 on Monday night.
– Scott Steiner is getting ready to up the ante in his ongoing war of words with Eric Bischoff, threatening to reveal details about Bischoff’s sworn testimony in the Gold Club trial that Bischoff was embroiled in back in 2001. Here’s the latest from Big Poppa Pump:
“There you are u little b—h,bn tweeting for 4 wks now n u decide to respond when i tweeted About being at a Shoneys To Go Grand Opening….Really….Im playing poker with you and ive already told you what my hand is and the significance of 609,and the shoneys tweet Brought u out of yur hole,first off if you want to call anybody a drug abuser look no further than yur son… 609Garrett was a 140 lb non-athletic p—y in highschool,but as everybody can see he can take Everything under the sun but it hasnt improved his athletic ability,the apple doesnt fall far from the tree
Let me educate u on Shoneys,first off this wasnt a paid appearance,i was there on behalf of my friend Of 18 yrs who purchased the Shoneys Brand 6 yrs ago for around $300 million,and its no Longer a greasy fast food joint as u suggest,you would have known this if u ever went to the Tna offices Bcuz Shoneys corporate offices are also in Nashville,but as you like to brag your too high class and make Too much money to eat at a place like that,well the # 609 suggests you aint high class at all00
So for everybody that has bn tweeting me back asking what is the significance of 609 and why Chant 609 when either b—hoff enters the ring,is bcuz 609 is part of a larger # that eric owns n now Garrett is going to have to live with, The full sequence is 1:19-CR-609 and its represents b—hoffs docket # when he testified under oath In Atlanta’s Gold Club trial… More later on his exact testimony which is very revealing and humurous bcuz it shows what a Weasle he is,which i will also post on my website
b—hoff u need to worry about the crowds that Tna is drawing since u 3 assholes have taken control… 2,500 ppl were at the last ppv in nashville,the home base of Tna and alot of those were freebee’s, b—hoff cant deny anything that i tweeted about bcuz its all true,so hes trying to change the focus Saying im to old slow & boring..really check out the Ring ka King footage… That i didnt want to move over for the younger guys,all i did was try to elevate guys and pass the torch… Ask any wrestler better yet look at the tape,im not a mark like hogan and have to have creative control Bcuz ppl dont care who wins or loses,they want to be entertained,hogan living in his fantansy world Actually believes hes winning
Trust me b—hoff ,u and hogan are about to find out im the last guy you should have f–kd with… Your going to find out that payback is a b—h,both mentally n physically right now im FF’n with Your mind,and i will see u both again,and you will see how ruthless i can be,believe that”
– Former WWE Superstar Bobby Lashley lost his fight to James Thompson in the main event of Super Fight League 3. The 35-year-old Lashley has now lost two of his last four fights after beginning his promising career 5-0.
– Bulls’ F Joakim Noah (sprained ankle) has already been ruled out for Game 5 on Tuesday, and his status for the remainder of the first round is in doubt. The Bulls insist on calling Noah day-to-day, as usual, but he’s still in a walking boot and is unable to put his full weight on the foot. With Chicago down 1-3 in the first round, their season might be over before Noah even gets a chance to return.