– White Sox’ RHP Phil Humber threw the 21st perfect game in MLB history Saturday afternoon in a 4-0 win over the Mariners. Humber, 29, struck out nine with just 96 pitches, and throws the first perfect game since Phillies’ RHP Roy Halladay’s game against the Marlins in May 2010. The final out game on a Brendan Ryan on a check-swing, dropped third strike that was unsuccessfully argued by Ryan, rather than trying to beat out the throw. Humber now owns the third perfect game (18th no-hitter) in White Sox history, joining Mark Buehrle (2009) and Charlie Robertson (1922). He improves to 1-0 with a 0.63 ERA this season.
– The Red Sox have acquired OF Marlon Byrd and cash from the Cubs for RHP Michael Bowden and a PTBNL. Byrd, 34, has $6.5M remaining on his contract. Boston had been in the market for outfield depth given their rash of injuries. Byrd was hitting just .070 with a .149 OBP in 13 games for Chicago. He’s in the final season of a 3-year/$15M contract signed in 2010.
– The Phillies have placed LHP Cliff Lee (left oblique strain) on the 15-day DL retroactive to April 19. Lee was stellar over 10 innings in his most recent outing, only throwing 102 pitches against the Giants while improving his season ERA to 1.96.
– Yankees’ RHP Michael Pineda (shoulder) experienced a setback Saturday in an extended spring training game. Pineda was scheduled to pitch two innings, but was shutdown after reporting ”shoulder weakness.” The Yankees are expected to update his status next week before determining how to proceed with his rehab. Prior to his latest episode, Pineda was set to return to the rotation sometime in early-May.
– The Cubs have placed RHP Ryan Dempster (right quad strain) on the 15-day DL retroactive to April 18, with a right quad strain. Dempster’s timetable remains unknown.
– The D’Backs placed RHP Daniel Hudson (right shoulder impingement) on the 15-day DL retroactive to April 19.
– Coyotes’ F Raffi Torres issued the following statement in regards to his 25-game suspension:
“My main concern is for the healthy recovery of Marian Hossa, and I hope that he will be able to get back on the ice to compete again soon. I sincerely regret injuring Marian. Regarding the severity of the suspension issued, I will take the next few days to decide whether or not to appeal the decision.”
– According to the Cleveland Plain Dealer, Oklahoma State QB Brandon Weeden “gets the vibe” the Browns are interested in him, and “relishes” the thought of competing with QB Colt McCoy. ”I know Colt had a good year last year, and he’s a good football player. But I’m a competitor, and I want to play as soon as possible. I’d be excited about the opportunity to come in and compete with him and see how things pan out.” The Plain Dealer confirms the Browns have shown “plenty of interest” in the 28-year-old, and that he will be an option with their second 1st-round pick (No. 22). Stay tuned.
– Rams’ RT Jason Smith has agreed to cut his $10M 2012 salary to $4M. The salary is fully guaranteed, and Smith will also receive a $500K roster bonus. Smith agreed to void the final year of his rookie deal (2014), while 2013 is now a voidable year for the Rams. Smith’s $12M 2013 base salary was reduced to $750K, but a $11.25M roster bonus will likely jeopardize his future again.
– Nebraska CB Alfonzo Dennard was arrested early Saturday on suspicion of assaulting a police officer in Lincoln (NE). Dennard was allegedly fighting a man outside a bar around 2:15 AM, and “pushed and then punched one officer in the face” when police intervened. Per the police report, it took four officers to take Dennard into custody. He’s facing charges of third-degree assault on an officer and resisting.
– On his Twitter, Hulk Hogan commented that going live weekly would, “solve 75% of [TNA's] issues.” Hogan also wrote about some of the changes coming to the company, writing,
“Getting my head really wrapped around the fan business requests and how to transition Impact Wrestling beyond the Mania,attitude era,nwo era. Not just grow in a black beard or just switch a title or just verbally say were changing,I’m talking about really changing to foundation to Put Wrestling in a whole new era,I know I came up with the idea,I’m gonna really flush it out before I drop the bomb on you Maniacs. Crazy HH”
– Christy Hemme was awakened by burglars searching her home early Saturday morning.
“Just woke up to fucking druggy burglars in my house, chased them out and my hubby is not here… I’m so freaked! I’m ok, just scared and hoping to go back to sleep!”
The TNA Knockout later noted that she filed a police report.
– Warriors’ F Andrew Bogut (ankle) will have surgery on Friday to remove “loose particles and scar tissue,” and he will not play for Australia in the London Olympics. Bogut was hoping to avoid surgery, but it’s not related to the fracture that ended his season. He should be at full strength for next year’s training camp.
– Warriors’ G Stephen Curry (ankle) will have “exploratory” surgery in California on Wednesday, after which doctors will provide a timetable for his return. Stay tuned.
– Following Friday’s SmackDown, here is the updated card:
Extreme Rules Match: John Cena vs. Brock Lesnar
Chicago Street Fight for the WWE Title: CM Punk (c) vs. Chris Jericho
2 of 3 Falls Match for the World Heavyweight Title: Sheamus (c) vs. Daniel Bryan
Falls Count Anywhere Match: Randy Orton vs. Kane
– Speaking to SportsTownChicago.com, Diamond Dallas Page addressed his yoga program, assisting Chris Jericho’s comeback from injury, WrestleMania and more. Highlights are as follows:
Not being inducted into the WWE Hall of Fame: “I think eventually it’s got to happen. Nobody did what I did. Nobody was as over in the 90?s. I was in the top five guys according to Pro Wrestling Illustrated. Nobody came from being a manager to being a color commentator. I think I earned that spot and eventually, I think I’ll get it. I hope it’s not 30 years from now, but until Randy Savage is in there, until Jake Roberts, until Rick Rude, I’m not in yet. I would think Randy’s going to be in next year. I’d be surprised if he wasn’t. But it would be the greatest bill ever to be inducted because it’s in Jersey. It is what it is and when it happens it happens.”
Scott Hall’s life problems: “I love Scott. He’s one of my very good friends…Today, we talk once in a blue moon, but the last time he called me, he was just looking for some positive energy. I gave him a lot, I gave him everything I could and I asked him to come and stay with me. I just couldn’t get him to call me back after that. He’s a good guy. He’s just a lost soul right now.”
– According to the Wrestling Observer, ratings for SmackDown have taken a downturn in recent months, with the yearly average dropping down to a 1.97 after last week’s show. This is the same average rating SmackDown drew for 2011, so WWE has lost the progress SmackDown made after many shows this year drawing above 2.0.
– According to the Wrestling Observer, the decision to move Alberto Del Rio and Ricardo Rodriguez over to SmackDown was made a few weeks back, with the belief that SmackDown required another top heel. Both Del Rio and Rodriguez have been added to the SmackDown roster page of WWE.com.
– Zack Ryder is back with Episode 63 of the Z! True Long Island Story. Ryder has tweeted a few message about his latest show being edited by WWE . He says even though “the best two minutes” were removed by WWE, fans should watch it anyways. He has also been telling fans to stop chanting “hoeski” at Eve Torres. Not because he’s forgiven her, but he doesn’t want to be associated with her anymore.
He has also been telling fans to stop chanting “hoeski” at Eve Torres. Not because he’s forgiven her, but he doesn’t want to be associated with her anymore.
– FCW star Antonio Cesaro made his WWE television debut on Friday’s night’s SmackDown. Formerly known as Claudio Castagnoli, Cesaro was introduced as Aksana’s new friend and had a meeting with John Laurinaitis on the show. Cesaro’s gimmick is that he’s a professional European Rugby player.
– Tyler Reks and Curt Hawkins are trying to get re-hired by John Laurinaitis and were informed that they will get their jobs back if they can get the hastag #SaveReksAndHawkins trending during Monday’s three-hour RAW.
– AJ Lee snapped on Friday’s SmackDown, taking out her relationship frustrations Natalya and leaving the Canadian Diva bloodied.
“I get it. @WWEAJLEE treated me the way she “wanted” to treat Daniel Bryan. I just never expected it from her.”
“What I do know @WWEAJLEE, is that no matter how many punches to the face I receive, you can be sure I’m going to rise from the ashes.”
“It’s people like @WWEAJLEE who make me realize what I am truly made of. I’ve faced so much adversity In my life, but it has made me stronger”
– The official WWE website has a new article up looking at the dominant first month of Ryback’s career “as he paves a destructive path where mere mortals fear to tread.” The article says Ryback “channels” five powerful WWE legends with his destructive in-ring style: The Ultimate Warrior, Goldberg, Psycho Sid, JBL and Bam Bam Bigelow.
– According to the PWInsider, WWE Studios is partnering with IM Global on a new ‘romantic thriller’ movie titled, Dead Man Down. The movie will star Colin Farrell, Naomi Rapace, Terrence Howard and Dominic Cooper. Filming for the movie will begin this coming Monday in Philadelphia. Dead Man Down is not expected to feature any WWE superstars. WWE will co-finance the $30 million project and promote it.