– The Blue Jays have officially acquired OF Colby Rasmus, LHP Trever Miller, LHP Brian Tallet and RHP P.J. Walters from the Cardinals for RHP Edwin Jackson, RHP Octavio Dotel, LHP Marc Rzepcynzki, OF Corey Patterson and three PTBNL or cash considerations. Wow. Alex Anthopoulos is a genius. He gave up Jackson (an impending free agent), four relievers and a replaceable outfielder for Mark Teahen and a 24-year-old (Rasmus) who is under team control though 2014. Rasmus had fallen out of favor in St. Louis, so it’s almost a similar situation to what SS Yunel Escobar had going for him in Atlanta. A great buy low deal for the Jays on a player with a very high potential.
– Buster Olney of ESPN.com reports the Cubs are “trying to nudge the Yankees into taking RHP Carlos Zambrano.” The Cubs are offering an unspecified amount of cash to offset his remaining salary. Big Z is still owed roughly $23M through the end of the 2012 season.
– The Braves have placed C Brian McCann (strained left oblique) on the 15-day DL. McCann suffered the injury on a throw to second base in the 10th inning of Tuesday’s game. It’s a big loss for the Braves, but they could be searching for a replacement bat at the trade deadline.
– Citing multiple sources, ESPN’s Adam Schefter reports that trade talks between the Cardinals and Eagles remain ongoing, and QB Kevin Kolb is still expected to be sent to Arizona for CB Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie “and a draft pick” ”by the end of the week.” The Eagles’ website has already begun selling Rodgers-Cromartie jerseys.
– NFL Network is reporting that 49ers’ RB Frank Gore wants a new contract and has elected to hold out of training camp. ESPN’s Adam Schefter has confirmed the report. Gore and Drew Rosenhaus know the 49ers are going to be run-heavy this year with QBs Alex Smith and Colin Kaepernick listed 1-2 on one of the league’s worst quarterback depth charts. Gore is just 28 and should be getting DeAngelo Williams money on the market, given that he’s been more productive.
– ESPN’s Adam Schefter reports the Broncos have agreed to trade WR Jabar Gaffney to the Redskins in exchange for DE Jeremy Jarmon. Jarmon didn’t have a spot in the Redskins’ defence, and Gaffney won’t see as many snaps in John Fox’ three-wide sets. The Broncos are also high on 2010 3rd-round pick WR Eric Decker, who should compete with WR Eddie Royal for a starting job.