– Bruins’ F Nathan Horton (severe concussion) has been released from the hospital and will miss the remainder of the Stanley Cup Horton was demolished by Canucks’ D Aaron Rome in the first period of Game 3 when Horton got caught with his head down crossing the blueline. Horton was hit shoulder-to-head, but his head ricocheting off the ice was what caused the concussion. He left the game on a stretcher and was rushed to the hospital. Slowed replays of the hit show a 28-frame difference between his pass and the hit, which is 2 frames shy of a full second.
Rome has officially been suspended four games for the hit. Oddly enough, Vancouver still has the advantage–Horton is a top-6 forward, while Rome is a third-pairing defenceman.
Meanwhile, Bruins’ coach Claude Julien was not happy with the hit. ”I think what I would call it is it was a blindside hit that we’ve talked about taking out of the game. He made the pass. It was late … Whether it’s through the motion of the hit, it appeared he left his feet a little bit … I’m not going to comment more than that. I’ll say what I always say: let the league take care of it. We’re trying to clean that out. Let’s see where they go with that.” Stay tuned for any payback the Bruins may have in store. ‘Take care of our superstar, we take care of yours,’ as the only saying goes.
– The Flyers have acquired the rights to G Ilya Bryzgalov from the Coyotes for a 2012 3rd-round pick, F Matt Clackson and future considerations. The Flyers will get exclusive negotiating rights to Bryz, who will become a UFA on July 1. If Philly can sign him, it looks like they may run into some cap problems, which will force their hand at another trade.
– Senators’ F Daniel Alfredsson (back) is expected to undergo surgery on Friday. Alfredsson had been sidelined since February 7. He was originally expected to be out an additional 4-6 weeks, though his current timetable remains unknown.
– The new Winnipeg team has named Kevin Cheveldayoff as their new GM. He previously served as the GM of the AHL’s Chicago Wolves before accepting the position of assistant GM with the Blackhawks in 2009-10.
– The Hurricanes have hired Dave Lewis as an assistant coach. Lewis will also be the team’s defensive coach. Former F Rod Brind’Amour will add some coaching responsibilities to his role as well.
– Owners and players resumed “very serious” negotiations Tuesday at an undisclosed location, according to NFL Network’s Albert Breer. The discussions are expected to extend over “several days,” and Breer emphasizes the two sides have now entered a “very critical phase of negotiations.” PFT confirms the lawyers on both sides are once again absent. There’s now optimism among national voices that a deal will be struck by July. “Hope floats,” says Andrew Brandt, ESPN’s NFL Business Analyst.
– The attorney for Ohio State’ QB Terrelle Pryor confirms the quarterback has plans to turn pro after announcing the end of his Buckeyes career Tuesday. ”I think he’s going to take the next couple of days to come to grips with all of this… He has an interest in going in the supplemental draft if that is a probability.” The supplemental draft is scheduled for July, though it may be affected by the CBA issues. In that case, Pryor would turn to the CFL or UFL.
– Multiple sources close to WR Plaxico Burress tell the NY Daily News that the free agent wide receiver is determined to get out of New York. Some of Burress’ teammates have said the same publicly. The Daily News believes that the Jets will be out of the running for the same reasons why Plax won’t re-sign with the G-Men. The Eagles and Rams appear to be tentative front-runners. Another source, speaking to the Daily News, put the Dolphins near the top of Burress’ list.
– Citing people close to the organization, CBS Sports’ Clark Judge reports that the Eagles are “indifferent” about signing free agent LB Nnamdi Asomugha. ”I’ve heard too many people say the Eagles aren’t all that jacked up about Asomugha not to pay attention,” says Judge. Judge says that Asomugha “will cost a fortune,” and has really only played right cornerback in his career. The Eagles also have a history of trying to get younger, and Asomugha turns 30 in a month. “They just don’t think he’s the right guy for them.” Judge’s most believable line of reasoning is the money factor. Asomugha will earn upwards of $12M annually.
– David Stern and representative for both the players and owners met in Dallas on Tuesday for nearly five hours, as both sides continue to find what they called a “breakthrough” in negotiations. There was no real development in this meeting, though the sides appear to be communicating their priorities, which would then serve as an order of operations for concessions that are made in negotiations. The two sides will meet again on Wednesday, and with the CBA expiring on June 30, they will need to keep their momentum or risk a devastating impasse. Many believe both sides will get their best deal before the expiration date. Stay tuned.
– Celtics’ G Ray Allen has exercised his $10M player option for the 2011-12 season. Allen, 36, remains a premier sharpshooter and remains at the top of his game–in fact, he set career-high marks in both field-goal percentage (49.1) and 3-point percentage (44.4) last season.
– Nets’ G Deron Williams, who recently fired his agent Bob McClaren, is expected to sign with CAA according to Jazz beat writer Brian Smith. Smith’s source says that Williams plans to align with agent Leon Rose in hopes of bringing talent to Brooklyn, though we wouldn’t rule out the idea that Rose’s influence with other teams isn’t coming into play here, either. Williams can opt out of his contract after next season. Stay tuned.
– The Wizards are expected to retain RFA G Nick Young, according to the Washington Post. Young has said that he will not be giving the team a hometown discount. G Jordan Crawford has emerged as a talented up-and-comer, which makes many wonder why the Wiz won’t let him test the market. Washington can wait and see what kind of offer sheets Young receives before making a decision on him.
– Isiah Thomas is a candidate for the vacant Pistons’ head coaching job. The latest report comes courtesy of ESPN’s Chris Broussard, who acknowledges that although Thomas is a candidate, he’s not the preferred option. The other list of names include Mike Woodson, Kelvin Sampson and Bill Laimbeer.
– Sixers’ owner Comcast-Spectacor is in talks to sell the team, sources tell ESPN’s Henry Abbot. According to Abbot, talks are ongoing, and one source called a deal “imminent.” The potential buyers are a “group led by New York-based leveraged buyout specialist Joshua Harris.” The Sixers have had consistently poor attendance and have made bad financial decisions since the days of Allen Iverson. It’s unknown if the new owners will have any affect on the on-court product.
– The Magic confirmed that G J.J. Redick (torn abdominal muscle) underwent successful surgery on May 26. They had originally said that the surgery was for a sports hernia. Redick should be fine for training camp, barring setbacks. If G Jason Richardson tests free agency, the 3-point specialist will likely start for Orlando.
– Cavs’ coach Byron Scott said that G Baron Davis is his starting point guard regardless of the NBA Draft outcome. Scott made the comments during the regular season, before he knew that the Cavs would be slotted to select Duke’ G Kyrie Irving. Irving, 19 this past Match, missed half of his only college season due to injury, so he shouldn’t start to begin with. That said, Irving should be starting before the All-Star break.
– The agent for Cubs’ 3B Aramis Ramirez said Tuesday that his client is not planning to waive his no-trade clause. Ramirez, 32, is playing out the final season of a 5-year/$75M contract and won’t be brought back on the $15M club option for 2012. Chicago would wisely like to shop him, but he doesn’t sound cooperative. “Aramis has a full no-trade clause, so he doesn’t want to go anywhere. He’s a 10-and-5 guy and I don’t think he’ll go anywhere. We will have to see when it comes to that.”
– Red Sox’ RHP Jonathan Papelbon has been suspended three games for his actions during Saturday’s extra-inning win over the Athletics. Paps was ejected from Saturday’s game and then bumped home plate umpire Tony Randazzo as he was screaming at him. He’s currently appealing the suspension.
– Red Sox’ RHP John Lackey (right elbow) said that he thinks he’ll be OK to pitch with his sore elbow, but that “it’s going to get worse eventually.” Lackey said he had “normal soreness” following Sunday’s start in his first game back off the DL, but says that he has “damage” in the elbow and that the cortisone shot he received recently is just a temporary solution. “It’s going to get worse eventually, but the shot got the swelling down so things aren’t hitting against each other. That didn’t feel so good. It’s probably going to be something I have to stay on top of. The guys did a great job of helping me come back, so hopefully we can keep it where it is.” Lackey will probably need to go under the knife, but whether it happens during the season or after is anyone’s guess.
– The Athletics have placed LHP Brett Anderson (left elbow soreness) on the 15-day DL retroactive to June 6. He has a 4.00 ERA and 61/25 K/BB ratio over his first 13 starts this season.
– Nationals’ RHP Jason Marquis and D’Backs’ RHP Esmerling Vasquez have been suspended five and three games each, respectively, for throwing at hitters last weekend after both teams had been warned. Managers Jim Riggleman and Kirk Gibson of the Diamondbacks were each suspended for one game and fined.
– The Rockies have placed OF Dexter Fowler (left oblique strain) on the 15-day DL.
– Former WWE developmental wrestler Byron Wilcott is claiming to be the father of Kharma’s child. Wilcott wrote on Facebook:
“As some of you know my girlfriend is pregnant. Some of you know her as Awesome Kong. Most know her as Kharma. I know her as the love of my life, Kia Stevens.”
“Due to this being a high-risk pregnacy I’m going to take this time and step away from the ring to concentrate on making sure her and our baby’s needs are met. I will fulfill the remainder of my dates till June 12. It’s not an end, just a new beginning.”
Wilcott trained at Florida Championship Wrestling in late 2009 and was released from the company in January 2010.
– The PWTorch had reported that The Miz was injured after RAW during a dark match against WWE Champion John Cena. It has become apparent, however, that the reports were false. The Miz wrote the following on Twitter regarding the reports:
“Tsk tsk kiddies did we learn something tonight? Don’t believe everything u read on the sheets.”
– This week’s edition of WWE RAW drew a 3.2 cable rating, with 4.95 million viewers. The show did hours of 3.27 (3.3) and 3.15 (3.2). This week’s edition of WWE Tough Enough (season finale) drew a 1.95 (2.0) cable rating, with 2,860,000 viewers.
– Former WWE star Sean “X-Pac” Waltman posted a candid blog earlier this week, which you can read in its entirety over at RealXPac.com. In talking about the incredible work that Mick Foley has done for the RAINN (Rape,Abuse & Incest National Network) charity, Waltman made a startling personal admission – that he was repeatedly sexually abused as a child. Major props to Sean Waltman for having the courage to speak about such a personal subject in order to help others.
“I’ve always really liked, admired, respected, and been a fan of Mick’s. Mick and I have always gotten a long well whenever we were around each other, but due to differences in our lifestyle during those years (Mick not being caught up in the whole party scene, while I was) we never really had the opportunity to become close, but I did think of him as a friend. When I recently learned Mick had joined forces with RAINN (Rape,Abuse & Incest National Network), the nation’s largest anti-sexual violence organization, I reached out to him to express my sincere gratitude for his work in fighting & helping bring awareness to this epidemic. Recently Mick joined me on Cowheadtv.com for an in depth discussion about the state of wrestling & more importantly, his work with RAINN. Many of you may be asking yourselves, “Why is X Pac so concerned with Mick Foley’s cause?” Good question; here’s the answer: I am a survivor of repeated sexual abuse/molestation, from about age 5 to around the age of 12, at the hands of both female & male perpetrators. The most psychologically damaging incidents came at the hands of an adult male who actually brought me to my first pro wrestling match.
It took me until I was in my late 20?s to finally come out and tell my family and the authorities what happened. I had pretty much blocked the experiences from my memory until I moved my family to Florida, where I grew up & this all happened, and this guy tried coming around. I freaked out as I remembered everything that happened & that this guy would be around my own children. By this time, who knows how many other children were exposed to him? That thought alone filled me with guilt. It’s so difficult for victims of sexual abuse to come forward. The shame & fear involved in coming forward is overwhelming. Feeling like it’s our fault or fearing what people will think of you prevent many from ever coming forward. Some people take it to the grave with them. The harm done by these perpetrators is in a lot of ways permanent. I choose to talk openly about it, hoping it may inspire others to come forward and expose these people. This is a huge step in dealing with the psychological damage done to the victim & can also save others from having to suffer the same fate. So I can’t thank Mick enough for his work with RAINN.”
– Ultimate Warrior revealed last night on Twitter that his much anticipated “Karma is Coming to Collect” video will be posted in less than 48 hours and that he has plans to expose him.
“Hogan takes high road-where?when? Never has. In WM6 best sports entertainer in the world prevailed. Today, best man will. No punches pulled.”
“Terry, almost time for KiCtC. Better triple your meds — or have your PoS friend Knobbs come over and feign heart attacks…good for laughs.
Warrior also commented on Hogan’s Facebook flap over the weekend: “Hogan blames the fans, then acts like it never happened… good example of Hulkamania’s positivity and authenticity. He is totally lost.”
– Kurt Angle was recently interviewed by the UK’s Bamber Media to promote next January’s Maximum Impact tour. Here are some highlights of what Angle said about:
Competing In the 2012 Summer Olympics: “After Atlanta (1996), I wanted to take a break. Then I got caught up in pro-wrestling. I was going to try-out in 2004 but I broke my neck. Before 2008 I went a divorce and was at a really difficult time in my life. I’m a very competitive person. With the UFC I needed 3-6 months to get ready. They wanted me ready in 4.5 weeks. I wanted to do it under my terms. A lot of people were saying ‘Kurt said he was going to fight but he didn’t. He backed out six different times and he’s going to back out of the Olympics’. No I’m not – because this is under my terms.”
His New TNA Contract: “I’m going to start going part time. I’m at a point in my career where TNA can’t afford me to be travelling around and getting injured at house shows when they need me on TV. If I want to perform the way I do and steal the show every time I wrestle I have to be 100% healthy and we are both in agreement on that.”
Helping TNA’s younger stars: “When you’re on your way out you want to make the younger guys more popular. You want to put these guys over and that’s where I am with my career. Look at James Storm, Robert Roode, Crimson, Amazing Red, Kazarian, Mr Anderson, The Pope. We’re starting to get the Brits where they need to be. Desmond Wolfe, Magnus or Doug Williams – one of those three are going to end up being World Champion. They’re great technicians, they’re great in the ring, and they’ve got a lot of charisma. Those are the kind of guys I want to help.”