– In an interview with WWE Magazine’s special 2010 WrestleMania 26 Almanac, WWE Hall of Famer “Stone Cold” Steve Austin says he still has no interest in fighting Hulk Hogan, despite WWE’s repeated attempts to make the match happen at the past few WrestleManias.
“After I retired, for two or three years, they asked me, ‘Do you want to wrestle Hogan this year? Do you want to wrestle Hogan? And the answer is: No, I don’t. “I don’t care to wrestle Hulk Hogan. I don’t think it would live up to fans’s expectations.”
Austin says his match with Dwayne “The Rock” Dwayne Johnson at WrestleMania 19 in 2003 was his “retirement match” and says that he isn’t looking for one last rematch.
“That was my last match, and I’m not looking for a re-match. I don’t it would be as good as what we’ve done before because we’ve both been out of the ring for some time. Could it be done? Of course. But there’s no use talking about it. … I definitely do not have any interest in delivering anything that would be second-best to what I’ve done before.”
When asked about his favourite WrestleMania match, Austin said his WrestleMania 17 main event match against The Rock, but admits that turning heel and aligning himself with Mr. McMahon that night was a bad idea looking back.
“Looking back, it wasn’t the best thing we ever did. Now, if I could go back, as soon as that match ended, when Vince walked up to me, I would have shaken his hand and said, ‘Watch the Stunner,’ and dropped him right there in the middle of the ring. That’s hindsight being 20/20!”
– Vince McMahon made the call to have Ezekiel Jackson win the ECW Championship in order to give him momentum as he heads to SmackDown. There were some on creative pushing for Christian to retain the title to give ECW a “happy ending”, but that was shot down.
– Buster Olney of ESPN.com reports that free agent 1B Russell Branyan is likely to wind up with the Indians. The 34-year-old batted .251/.347/.520 with 31 homers and 86 RBI last season and can provide insurance at first base for 1B Matt LaPorta, who is coming off hip and toe surgeries and is still an unproven big leaguer. The Rays have also expressed interest but can offer only limited playing time.
– A Mets official downplayed the club’s interest in free agent C Rob Barajas during a chat Wednesday with the Newark Star-Ledger. The Mets are open to inviting Barajas to camp if he is willing to accept a minor league contract, according to the official, but they’re not making the “hard push” described by FOXSports.com’s Ken Rosenthal. Barajas, 34, hit 19 homers and 71 RBI last season with a poor .226/.258/.403 batting line.
– The Leafs have expressed interest in Rangers’ F Ryan Callahan.
– According to a source in Boston, DE Julius Peppers to the Patriots is picking up steam. Stay tuned.
– The Ravens have signed WR Donte’ Stallworth to a one-year/$900K contract. Another $300K can be earned through incentives. It’s a low risk move by the Ravens. Even if WR Derrick Mason returns, they’re expected to take a wideout with their No. 25 overall pick.
– According to the PWInsider, the latest word on Jeff Hardy is that he has a contract waiting for him once he clears up his legal issues, indicating that he had not signed when it was reported last month. Hardy is scheduled to go to trial in North Carolina on March 17.
“Let’s get the record straight…From my lips……TNA has not contacted me. Period. No B.S.”
– Bubba the Love Sponge is still with TNA and was backstage working at last night’s iMPACT tapings.
– Karen Angle was backstage at the TNA iMPACT tapings this week. Currently, there are no plans for her to return with an on-air role.