–In Hidalgo, Texas, there are advertisements for a Raw/ECW house show for one week before WrestleMania 25. The ad promotes World Heavyweight Champion John Cena defending his strap against Randy Orton. Of course, cards are subject to change, so take it for what it’s worth.
–Developmental WWE wrestlers DH Smith and TJ Wilson have broken up in FCW. Thus far, they’ve been wrestling as singles for a few weeks, but there will soon be an angle in FCW that sees them break up. In fact, Smith is no longer wearing the Hart Foundation attire, and his gone back to his late father’s “British Bulldog” attire. For several weeks now, there was talk of calling up DH Smith and TJ Wilson (with Natalya as their manager) to SmackDown! as The New Hart Foundation, but those plans have been called off – as of now, it appears official. A few weeks ago, Smith went to the creative team and pitched the idea that be brought on board as part of Randy Orton’s Legacy faction. Smith is set to debut in The Legacy any week now.
– According to PWInsider.com, all the recent WWE layoffs are because CEO Vince McMahon believes that due to Barack Obama becoming President, the US economy will slip further and further, and unemployment will reach as high as 10%, if not more, by the end of 2009.
– Raw Diva Candice Michelle is now a heel.
– According to the Baltimore Sun, “word around the NFL” is that the Cowboys are targeting impending free agent LB Ray Lewis and are willing to guarantee him a three-year/$25M contract. Owner Jerry Jones is said to believe that Lewis can rectify the problems in the Cowboys’ locker room.
– Packers’ coach Mike McCarthy confirmed Monday that the Packers will switch to a 3-4 defense under new coordinator Dom Capers.
– ESPN reports that Rex Ryan has agreed to a four-year contract to become the next head coach of the Jets.
The four-year contract is said to be almost identical to the $11.5M deal Steve Spagnuolo signed with the Rams.
– The Blue Jays have signed RHP Brandon League to a one-year/$640K deal.
– According to New York Newsday, the Mets are “showing interest” in RHP Ben Sheets.
– The Mariners have signed RHP Felix Hernandez on a one-year/$3.8M deal
– The Philadelphia Inquirer reports that the Phillies have signed RHP Ryan Madson to a three-year/$12M deal.
– The Cubs have signed RHP Kevin Gregg to a one-year/$4.2M contract.
– The Rockies have signed RHP Huston Street to a one-year/$4.5M deal.
– The Red Sox have traded RHP David Pauley to the Orioles for RHP Randor Bierd.
– The Cardinals have signed OF Chris Duncan on a one-year/$825K contract and have signed RHP Todd Wellemeyer to a one-year/$4.05M deal.
– The Dodgers have signed OF Jason Repko to a one-year/$500K deal.
– The Braves have signed RHP Mike Gonzalez to a one-year/$3.45M deal.
– The Cubs signed Japanese free agent RHP Ken Kadokura to a minor league contract.
– Lightning’ F Evgeny Artyukhin has been suspended two games for his knee-on-knee hit on Panthers’ Ville Peltonen.